Get the full reading plan
Will Jesus Really Come Again? When? How Will We Know?
And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come. . . So, if they say to you, ‘Look, he is in the wilderness,’ do not go out. If they say, ‘Look, he is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. - Matthew 24:14, 26-27, ESV
Jesus promised His disciples that He would come again and bring the end of this age, to judge the living and the dead, to gather His own to Himself forever, to bring a final end to sin and suffering. But will He? When? How will we know when He does? Lots of people have written books, made predictions and made money off of this topic, but what did Jesus Himself say?
1. Jesus said the Gospel would first be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all ethnic groups (nations). This is the single condition or timeline Jesus ever told us related to His Second Coming. He said that the Gospels had to be proclaimed world-wide, to every people group, every ethnic group. While we still have hundreds and hundreds of unreached people groups who have not heard the Gospel, the interest of every Christian who wants to see Jesus face-to-face is clear: Advance the Gospel to those who have never heard. Make sure the testimony of Jesus reaches the ends of the earth.
2. Jesus told us not to be alarmed (v. 6). False prophets, doomsday predictors and even false Christs have all arisen, just as Jesus predicted. None of them has surprised God or altered God's plan. If we belong to Jesus, we are safe and secure and have no reason to fear anything or anyone.
3. Jesus said things would get worse for Christians before the end. The followers of Jesus have always faced persecution and opposition in this world. Jesus said it would only intensify before the end. This is not a sign that God has lost control, but that everything is happening according to plan. God's people are always safe in His hands, even if we are mocked, ridiculed, demonized or violently persecuted.
4. Jesus said the whole world would know when He comes again. The Second Coming of Jesus won't be a secret, so don't believe anyone who says otherwise, The whole world will see Him and every knee will bow before Him when He comes.
5. As Christians, our call is clear: Keep trusting in Jesus and endure to the end. We cannot let the world shake our confidence or disturb our peace, which is secure in Christ. No matter how lonely or difficult it may become, we must hold to Jesus, knowing that He is always holding us.
This great worship anthem will help remind us of the truth as we wait:
Prayer Based on Psalm 55:
Heavenly Father, we need You to hear our prayer and to attend to our pleas for mercy. Whether we realize it or not, we live in hostile territory and we face opposition from enemies all around us. The truth is that even many of those who call themselves Christians and who claim to worship You in churches hate those who hold to Your truth and slander us publicly, calling us bigoted and hateful and prejudiced and evil. They compare us to racists and Nazis because we uphold Your truth that You have created us male and female and that You have created marriage and the family according to Your design and for Your purposes.
But we face other, even more deadly, enemies. Our own hearts, drawn to sin, threaten to derail our faith and testimony. The world's enticements and empty promises tempt us to forsake Your for wealth or pleasure. Guard our hearts and minds in You.
But I call to God,
and the Lord will save me.
Evening and morning and at noon
I utter my complaint and moan,
and he hears my voice.
He redeems my soul in safety
from the battle that I wage,
for many are arrayed against me. (vv. 16-18)
Cast your burden on the Lord,
and he will sustain you;
he will never permit
the righteous to be moved. (v. 22)
I trust in You, my Lord. I believe Your promises. Keep me and sustain me, according to Your goodness. I pray this in Jesus' name and ask for all of Your people, Amen.
Post a Comment