Today's Reading: Romans 13 & 1 Timothy 2:1-8
How Should We Relate to Our Government?
- Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good.
- Love one another with brotherly affection.
- Outdo one another in showing honor.
- Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.
- Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them.
- Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight.
- Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.
- If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.
- Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
- Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.
So vote your conscience as an act of love to your neighbor in wanting the best leadership for them. But don't let your voting choice be an excuse for failing to keep God's clear commands to love your neighbor as yourself, in all of the ways Paul specifies.
How can we pray for our leaders? Here are some resources to help: